September 4, 2014

B.L.T.'s & Games

I love a game.  If you've seen the movie Anniversary Party you are familiar with the type of person who has a tendency to get a little too intense during a game.  A bit overly competitive.  I may be that type of person.  But I'm working on it (otherwise Greg would refuse to ever play with me!).  So, I love games and I also love B.L.T.'s (a perfect food): hence, a B.L.T. & Games dinner party.  My friend Jenni Kayne, who is doing an entertaining series featuring fellow entertainers, shot the dinner for her blog Rip Plus Tan; all of the recipe & details can be found there.   It was a really simple night inspired by tomatoes and the guests (namely my friend Molly who is an enthusiast, like myself, and her enthusiasm for things like homemade pickles and vinegary drinks makes me happy to make them!).  I love the shrub based cocktails at Baco Mercat and have been meaning to make them at home.  It turns out that if one mixes blackberries with sugar, lets them macerate for a couple of days and adds vinegar, they have a very delicious base for a cocktail (recipe on Rip Plus Tan!).  Cocktails led to a family style dinner which led to the main event: the game.  On this particular night we played the latest crowd favorite Cards Against Humanity.  While controversial to some, it is def designed as a social game, perfect for a dinner party.  I was on my best behavior, if anything, it was Cass who owes everyone an apology.  For dessert, I highly recommend a bourbon spiked root beer float (I've been enjoying them all week!).  So as not to waste, guests took home the tomatoes from the centerpiece along with jars of homemade basil pesto in canvas farmers market totes.  Goodbye Summer - I'm so, so ready for Fall.


The Menu

Sips

blackberry thyme shrub cocktail

belgian beers

Snacks

homemade pickles

charred padron peppers & cherry tomatoes with aioli

To Share

b.l.t.'s with heirloom tomatoes, black forest bacon & basil mayonnaise 

arugula salad with grilled corn & shallot viniagrette

roast potato salad with celery & dill

honeydew & cantaloupe melon with macron almonds & mint

Sweet

bourbon spiked root beer floats

To Take

basil pesto, farmers market bags & tomatoes 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I am heading to the farmer's stand to buy tomatoes!!

Anonymous said...

Nice twist on the rootbeer float. Yum! Thanks for the idea! Love your blog.

Post a Comment